How is it already Friday again and already almost November?! The weeks are flyyyying by! We thought we would do a quick recap of what #coffeetalk Friday is for all of our new readers. Each week, we answer questions from you (our readers)! You can either email us with a question you want answered for next week (be sure to put #coffeetalk in the subject b/c that’s how we find the questions in our sea of emails), or leave your question for next week in the comments on THIS POST below. We try to answer every question each week! xx
1. How do you guys store your sweaters for fall/winter? Folded or on hangers?
Meggan: I do both. I fold the thick ones (so they don’t lose their shape) and hang thin ones. I’m probably late to the party but I just switched to huggable hangers and they are life changing! No more clothes all over the closet floor!
7. Can you share how you started your blog, day-to-day blogging schedule, and any tips you have on starting your own blog?
We both had our own blogs (separately) before deciding to join forces and start Somewhere, Lately. Our day-to-day schedule is different every day, but we spend our days writing blog posts, editing photos, answering emails, reviewing contracts, and occasionally attending events or in-person meetings (these are a bit more difficult b/c we’re both full-time moms as well). Tips we have when starting your own blog are: hire a designer for your website, be authentic (don’t try to be anyone other than yourself!), and post consistently with good, clear imagery!
8. I am an event coordinator with a big wedding on NYE – I’m a doer and not a glam event coordinator so I’m very active. I need a dress that is fun, professional, and functional (pockets?). Any ideas?
This dress (love the cap sleeve) is pretty and has pockets! These two don’t have pockets but love the color and embellishments on this one and this one is stunning (might order it for myself)!
9. I am going on a beach vacation to Aruba in November for Thanksgiving. I would like to get a few new dresses/outfits but having a hard time finding “summery” things now that we are into the fall. Do you have any suggestions?
Revolve has a lot of summer pieces – some are new season and a lot are on sale! Love this smocked dress, this top (would be cute for dinner), this shirt dress, and this one too. ASOS has a vacation section too…a lot of cute dresses, swimwear, sandals, and coverups.
10. What are your thoughts on the Apple watch? Trying to debate if I would use it much!
Meggan: I want one but I feel the same as you. I think it would be SO convenient and better then having to pull your phone out all the time!
Brooke: I think they are awesome, but know I probably wouldn’t use it often? And I feel like they will keep coming out with newer versions which is frustrating when you spend a lot, then feel like you have to keep upgrading lol.
11. I have a friends outdoor wedding in Colorado in January and she is not having the traditional bridesmaids but would love for her friends/family to wear dresses in similar colors for photographs. I would love any suggestions for dresses in gold, silver, or seafoam!
We like this one in gold, this dress with a faux fur coat, this dress, and this one (with a faux fur coat).
12. Suggestions for a cute winter coat? Maybe a down or puffer?
These two (here and here) are super cute, look warm, and under $200! If you want to splurge we both love our Canada Goose jackets…they keep you SO warm.
13. I would love your guys ideas for outfits to pack that are super versatile. I’m leaving for my honeymoon road trip up the PCH so I would like to be comfy for riding in the car/exploring but still cute 🙂 weather will be 60ish!
A few things we would pack are this tunic (can be worn two ways and looks cozy), this sweater dress (can be worn in the car or throw some booties/heels on for dinner), this moto jacket (can be worn with sweats – see our looks here and here), and this top (classic and versatile). For shoes we would do a pair of booties and definitely a cute pair of sneakers.
14. I’m looking for a classic black trench coat. I already have a few from Michael Kors (love that style) but I don’t want all of my coats to be the same.
This one is so cute, love this one (it’s a duster), and this one is great too!
15. What kind of bra do you wear with a cami (lace, etc.) I feel like cups fall down or don’t hold me up enough, strapless bras make me flat or also slide down, and every other bra with straps looks silly because the cami straps are so thin.
We either use these petals (one time use) or these silicon cups. Also if you’re in the market for a strapless bra, this one is SO good. It doesn’t fall down and it’s actually comfortable.
16. Brooke – What are a few pieces from your registry that you actually use? Meggan – What did you register for and what are you most excited to get? On top of all of this – where did you guys register?
Brooke: I think nice pots & pans are a great thing to register (especially if you love to cook) because it’s great to have a really nice set, but not necessarily something you want to buy yourself. I have this set and I love it so much and use it every day. Other items I use all the time are my dishes, wine glasses, and my silverware. Beyond that, there’s nothing I feel I use daily. I registered at Bloomingdales, Crate & Barrel, and a local home store in Iowa. The items I would suggest registering for are big ticket items you don’t want to purchase yourself, and leave the little things (vases, decorative objects) off the list – you can always get those later. Of course if there’s something fun you really want, put it on your registry!
Meggan: I registered at Crate & Barrel and Macy’s but haven’t finished them yet. My sister-in-law just got married so she helped me register for things because I was too overwhelmed to do it on my own, lol. So far I did dishes, silverware (silver and gold), glasses, serving plates and bowls, coffee maker, kitchenaid mixer, and a lot of odds and ends like measuring cups (copper ones obviously!), cake plate, salsa bowls, etc. They have so many cool marble and copper items, I went a little crazy with them. Everyone needs a marble cake serving plate right?! And at Macy’s I’m planning on registering for our linens, pots and pans and china.
17. I have been wanting to get into layering more. I.e. Vests and Cardigans, but always end up looking frumpy. Any outfit suggestions that look more put together and stylish?
We think the key is don’t go too oversized when it comes to layering. We love this vest for an athleisure look – wear a tighter shirt or jacket under to avoid looking frumpy. Also loving this vest for a dressier look. This cardigan is so cute and would look great with a tee or tank under, and we also love this one and this one.
18. I’m looking for a classic bomber jacket (not shiny, and not puffy), any suggestions?
This one is great – thin, not too shiny and comes in 3 colors, we looooove the embellishments on this one (not as classic but so good we had to add it!), and this one is another great option!