1. How long did it take you to really start building your following and see real results from your blog? Do you have any good tips to get it going?
We started our blog in July of 2013 and it took a couple years to really see results (in 2015 we felt like “woah, this could actually go somewhere”). We try not to focus too much on our instagram following because (in our opinion) that’s not the most important thing. Here are some tips:
1. Post consistently. You can’t expect to get a consistent following if you are only posting once or twice a week. We post 6 days a week and do two series posts (#coffeetalk and weekend deals).
2. Take clear/crisp images. We use VSCO to filter our photos & try to use the same filter for each photo for a consistent feed.
3. Set goals and work toward them. We try to set quarterly and yearly goals!
4. Have a professional help design/set up your site
5. Just do you! It’s better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of someone else ;). Being original is super important! Of course you can always get inspo from bloggers who inspire who (everyone does that), but copy-catting is easy to spot! Good luck babe!
3. I’m looking for a stocking for my baby girl (her first Christmas)! Any suggestions on cute ones that aren’t too childish looking?
Brooke: I got these for my girls and they’re so cute! Definitely not childish, and one they can “grow up” with. I love the idea of having the same stocking each Christmas.
Meggan: I got these stockings from Pottery Barn for our whole family. I agree with Brooke on growing up with the same stocking. My mom has had our since I can remember! Pottery Barn Kids has some really cute ones (and they’re on sale). Love this and this!
4. I’m wondering how you found your photographers who take your blog pictures? Do you work on a shoot schedule or is it kind of random, (i.e call them when you need them vs. shooting every week at the same time)? Did you have a trial and error period to figure out if the style of photography worked for your personal styles/blog message? I’m really thinking about starting my own blog but want to do it in the right way so I’m trying to gather as much advice as I can!
Both of our guys take our pictures. It’s easier for us since we’re with the kids all day errryday. We take our photos on the weekends because that’s really the only time our guys have time to take pictures – aren’t they lucky lol ;). It isn’t always easy or fun to shoot with your significant other #letsbehonest, but it is most convenient for us & it’s free! We have shot with photographers before and truthfully the shoots are much easier/quicker (since they are a professional photog), but it’s hard for us to schedule shoots with kids. If you have someone who could take your photos, you could always try that first, but if you don’t have a DSLR camera, going with a photographer off the bat is a great idea because you know your images will be really great (important when first starting out!). Good luck!
5. Meggan, what size did you get in the peach top you posted on instagram and how does it fit? It’s perfect for the holidays!
I agree, it’s perfect for holiday parties! I got a size small and it fits true to size.
6. I am wearing a metallic gold/black dress to my company holiday party next weekend and want to do something fun with my lip color. I am thinking a bold red, but was wondering if you had any other suggestions?
A couple of our favorite reds: lady danger, ruby woo, and Russian red! All great shades – have fun!
7. I’m spending Christmas with my boyfriend’s family and looking for lounge clothes to wear throughout the weekend that are cute and pulled together, but still comfy!
Definitely these leggings, and oversized sweaters – love this one and this one (in my cart!).
8. Brooke, could you share a more affordable version of your coffee table (preferably under $200)? Also, what size rug did you get for your living room?
Thank you! We have two living rooms, so I’m not sure which table you’re referring to (this one or this one), but I’ve found a couple budget-friendly options for both. For the mirrored look: this one, this one (love this!), and this one (on sale for $299, but it’s SO similar to mine I had to include it). For the rustic/wood look: this one, this one & this one!
9. I recently bought these boots per your suggestion 🙂 but I really need help with some outfit ideas for both work and nights out. I’d love to get as much use out of them as possible. I always get a feeling that OTK boots can be a bit “much” for the workplace (although I don’t have a dress code). I can’t seem to find the right length sweater dresses that are long enough (always feels like I’m not wearing pants, ha!). So many issues and I could use some help!
Over-the-knee boots are definitely do-able for the work place if you wear them right! We would say to always stick with pants/jeans (sounds like you can wear jeans woo!) and add some layers on top. A simple top like this or this, layered with a cardigan or blazer, jeans with the boots would look super cute! For going out we love a look like this – could also be paired with a moto jacket.
10. I’m attending a Lingerie Ball New Years Eve party, dress code is black tie lingerie. I am really interested to see what combos you would come up with? It sure would be edgy and sexy, and I would sure go with whatever you pick!
Wow, we’ve never heard of a lingerie ball but we’re sure it will be fun! 😉 Truthfully, neither of us can imagine getting in lingerie in public right now lol, but some pieces that are fun and a little more covered up (which is what we would choose) are this bodysuit, this romper, or this bodysuit. Sorry if we’re way off here, but hopefully these ideas are in line with what you’re thinking! Have fun!
11. Do you have a favorite lip primer? I’m looking for something that will help my lipstick go on smoother, especially in these cold months when my lips tend to get more chapped. If it could also help prevent feathering, that would be great!
Brooke: I don’t use a traditional “primer,” but 30 mins before I put my liner/lipstick on I use this on my lips – it conditions them better than anything else I’ve tried. I dab it off with the back of my hand (don’t wipe) before applying my lip liner and my lips stay much more hydrated. My all-time favorite neutral liner is this one (in shade subculture).
Meggan: Gah my lips get so chapped and I swear I’m applying chapstick every 15 minutes in the winter. I don’t use a lip primer but definitely need to look into getting on. Before I put lipstick on I exfoliate my lips, then put chapstick on and let it absorb for a few minutes before I apply lipstick. I’ve been using these hydrating patches a few times a week and they really help!
12. I’m looking for a classic black cross body bag that I can use for everything when I go out. Preferably leather and something timeless! Do you have any ideas?
We love this one (it looks designer), this one (sooo pretty in person, I almost bought it yesterday), and this one if you’re looking to splurge!
13. So I bought this skirt (hopefully it fits with all the crap I’ve been eating lol) and wondering if you have suggestions for a black top to wear with it for a work party.
LOVE that skirt…might have to order it 😉 We are thinking a body suit would look cute with it – love this one, this one, and this one. All fun but work appropriate!
14. I’m going to be 9 months pregnant at Christmas time and wondering if you have suggestions for comfy outfits for Christmas Eve dinner and holiday parties with family. Something dressed up and flattering but not too expensive because I’m close to the end!
We felt like the cutest/most flattering & comfy looks with big bumps was a form fitting dress with a cozy cardigan over it (feels like you’re wearing PJ’s…nothing worse than pants when you’re 9 months pregnant are we right?!). It’s fun, shows off your bump, and looks so cute (and sometimes you don’t even have to buy maternity if the material is stretchy enough)! For the holidays we love this dress, this one, and this one (not maternity but looks super stretchy!). And for a cardi over a dress, we love this one and this one!
15. I am obsessed with this coat but it’s sold out 🙁 Have you ladies seen any similar to this? It doesn’t necessarily have to be plaid or have an attached scarf but I just love the combo of the colors!
Ugh that is SO cute! We found a couple similar ones here, here, and here.
16. I’m going on my honeymoon in January to Mexico and am looking for some cute day to night pieces as well as night pieces. I would love you suggestions!
We love this romper (easy to take from day to night), this jumpsuit, this dress, and this dress! Have fun! xx
Thanks for another great week of #coffeetalk! You can leave your question below or email them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with #coffeetalk in the subject! XO