1. I would love to see more posts about the mom side of your lives 🙂 What children’s brands/products you are loving, activities you do with them (at home and in your cities), and tips on how you juggle being a full time blogger and SAHM.
We could definitely do a full post on this, and maybe we should (thoughts?)! But, kid’s brands we love are: Old Navy, Gap Kids, H&M, anything at Nordstrom (they have the cutest kid’s sections!), Saltwater sandals, mini Melissa, and nuna. See question #13 here for kid’s activities in NYC, and #5 here for Chicago, and in Dallas I (Meggan) have been going to Gymboree classes weekly (Cam is obsessed) but looking for more things to do 🙂 We’ve gone to the aquarium which he loved too!
2. Meggan – where are you staying for your honeymoon in St. Lucia?
We are staying at Sugar Beach! Sooooo excited!
3. I’m heading to Europe and will be bringing my camera. I’m looking for a (neutral color) crossbody bag that can carry all of my essentials, including my camera, during he day while exploring.
4. Do you have a favorite bed-sheet? I’ve gone through so many and need to update once again!
Brooke: I swear the bed-sheet struggle is real! I’ve gone through so many as well. I’ve spent a lot and a little, and honestly these are the ones I always go back to (organic sheets under $60 for a king!) because even the expensive ones need to be replaced. These are super soft and comfortable, plus the designs are always cute & they’re on sale right now!
Meggan: I have no idea what sheets we have (think they’re from Target) but I don’t love them ha! I want to try these from West Elm.
5. I love your ladies style and you always look so put together but comfortable which is similar to how I like to dress. I recently found myself becoming bored with my wardrobe and decided to purge my closet and donate clothes. Now I’m faced with how to replenish my closet in a smart way where I get the biggest bang for my buck. So, my question is what are your top staple/must-have items for anyone rebuilding or just starting their wardrobe?
Our staples for rebuilding a wardrobe are: a moto jacket, basic tees (black, white gray), a great pair of black jeans, distressed jeans (last day to get our favorites on sale!), a utility jacket, a daytime dress that can be worn again and again, sneakers, sandals, booties (obsessed w/these), and you can add to your wardrobe from there – fun tees (stripes or band tees), sweaters (if you live in a winter climate), and accessories – hats, bags, etc.
6. Where does the name Somewhere, Lately come from?
8. What are some healthy snacks you guys like? I’m trying to eat better but in a rut when it comes to snacking!
Meggan: Lara Bars, berries, veggies with hummus, banana or apple with almond butter, 100 cal pack of Skinny Pop Popcorn, whole wheat rice cake with almond butter, That’s It fruit bars, dried mangos, oatmeal banana bites, and edamame (buy the frozen from TJ’s).
Brooke: Larabar (cashew cookie is my favorite), fruit, almond butter toast with banana, Skinny Pop (the individual bags), dried mangos (except I always end up eating the entire bag lol), pistachios & almonds, veggies and hummus, and hard boiled eggs. Clearly we pretty much have the exact same snacking habits lol!
9. My best friend of 20 years is getting married this fall and asked me to take the lead on planning her bachelorette party! Meggan, I know you just had yours recently. Is there anything that was planned that made the weekend extra special/memorable for you? We’re aiming at a location in Cali and keeping it more on the low-key side. Would love any insight from both of you!
I wish I would of down something low-key…drinking for 3 days straight took years off my life lol! It was worth it though 🙂 We stayed in a house which I loved because it fun hanging out all together instead of being in separate hotel rooms. My friends decorated with cute signs, had special cups, straws, shot glasses, got me a vail and sash which I thought was fun and nice of them to do! One night we stayed in and hung out together and had a taco cart come to the house which was so fun. I liked doing that because at dinner it’s hard to talk to everyone. This way we all sat around the pool, had margs + tacos and did gifts. I thought that was way better then going out! We stayed for Sunday funday and got bottle service at the W which was so fun and definitely went out with a bang! I think you should definitely do a chef at the house or taco cart like we did – it’s different and was so good! Also, when I was in Cabo there was a wedding at our hotel and the bride wore a sun hat with her new last name (like this). You could make her one – it was seriously so cute!
10. My husband and I are going to a horse race in early May and I was hoping you could suggest a few outfit ideas for both of us?!
Sounds fun! We’ve never been but we would probably wear something like this…a hat (obviously) love this, this, and this. A dress – loving this maxi, this crochet one, and this pleated one. A neck scarf like this would be super cute too! For him: a navy jacket, white oxford button down, slacks, double monk strap shoes, and a tie (love this one and this one).
12. I love the kimono over a bathing suit look, but having trouble finding any I love! I like the ones with fringe that have more of a boho vibe to them. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Yes such a cute look! This white one is super cute, love this embroidered one (apricot is pretty!), and this one is classic and will go with all your suits.
13. What do you do when traveling with a toddler as far as sleeping? I have a 20 month old and will be traveling by myself with her for the first time since she was a baby. Do you get them separate beds or have them sleep with you? Or use a pack n play? Help!
Meggan: I always use the hotel pack n’ play or crib and put it in the closet or the bathroom (if closet isn’t big enough). That way I can be in the room and not have to worry about waking him. And sometimes I bring my own sheet just incase!
Brooke: I always request a crib for the room (or pack n’ play, whichever they have). It’s hard when you’re in the same room, so I agree with Meggan – closet or bathroom if possible!
14. There are so many off the shoulder tops out this spring/summer that I can’t decide the 1-2 that I’d like to get. What are your favorite OTS shirts for the season?
Meggan: I have this one (wore it in yesterday’s post) and love it because it’s casual enough for daytime but can also be dressed up. A few other cute ones are this ruffle one (in my shopping cart!) and this denim one.
Brooke: I have this one and love it – this one (on sale through today) and this one are also on my radar!
15. I’m going to New Orleans for a wedding in May and it’s going to be warm! Any suggestions on wedding guest dresses?
We both have this LIKELY dress and love it (can be worn for so many occasions too), this lace dress is pretty in dusty blue, this one-shoulder is so cute, and this pink one is fun!
16. I’m wearing my hair down for my wedding but would like to add some volume and a bit of length. Recommendations for clip in extensions (what all my friends have done and loved) or do I bite the bullet and get extensions from my salon for A LOT more money? Any advice?
We would probably do clip-ins to save money, but neither of us use any type of extension so it’s hard to say for sure! We’ve heard great things about Bellami hair extensions (all of our favorite YouTubers use them)!
17. Can you do a belt roundup? I always love the ones you ear and can never seem to find the ones I like in stores.
Yes! Splurge on this, this, or this – love the stars!. Save on this (great Gucci belt dupe!), this, or this – loooooove!
18. Any suggestions for a showstopper bodycon cocktail dress? I’m looking for something classy, yet sexy. My budget is pretty flexible and I’d love something with color!
We’ve always loovvved this dress – definitely a showstopper but no color. A few other favs are this pink one, this navy one (helllloooo!), this little lace number.
19. Do you have any ideas for bridesmaid gifts for the wedding day? (Besides the normal jewerly, robes, etc if possible).
YSL lets you engrave lipgloss and lipstick (would be so cute to put their names on it), a polaroid camera would be so fun (and each girl could get some great shots during the day), flip flops (can be worn for the reception), monogrammed jewelry dishes, or a cute portable phone charger (love these things, would be so great for the wedding day!).
20. I’m looking for a rehearsal dinner dress (getting married in July) and would love your suggestions.
Girl I have been searching high and low for one lately. I am obsessed with the one Lauren from The Skinny Confidential wore for her welcome party (here) and want to find something similar! Anyway, here are a few that I’ve found: this one is light + airy and a little on the casual side, this white and nude lace one is gorgeous, this strapless one is classic, and I love this one!
21. My husband and I are going to Hawaii in May and I need nice outfits (for dinner) & swim trunk suggestions for him, thanks!
My husband just got these shorts in a few colors, and wore them every day in Hawaii. They look nice enough to wear to dinner with loafers and a button down or polo. They also come in a 10.5″ length. These polos are always a great staple for guys and can easily be dressed up or down, and for swim trunks I love these (look so good in person) and these (fun for Hawaii).
22. Planning a bachelorette party in Miami – recommendations for places to stay, eat, and things to do?
Loooove Miami, sad to be leaving today! Stay: tons of great hotels on the beach for a bachelorette – Eden Roc, Fontainebleau, Soho House, The Edition – I would just read the reviews and try to find which hotel would be best for you! Eat: Nobu, Scarpetta, Casa Tua (more of a low-key/romantic vibe though so maybe not best for bachelorette), Prime 112 (always a fun scene), Nikki Beach, and my friend just told me about a great new restaurant called Upland. Things to do: shop (Lincoln Road Mall or Bal Harbour Shops), walk around Collins Ave (tons of restaurants & day drinking happening), Wet Willie’s (would be fun for a bachelorette), Liv (nightclub), and you could also look into a boat rental which would be fun! Have a blast!
Hope you have an amazing weekend loves! Per usual, leave your questions below or email us at email@example.com with #coffeetalk in the subject. Also, if we missed your question please resend to us. We had an overload of questions come in the last couple weeks and hope we didn’t look over any. XO